THE LOOK: MONOCHROMATIC MAKEUP
The myth that one makeup colour can’t do all is a thing of the past. The monochromatic makeup trend lets your favourite colours come to life for a full complementary look. Choose a flattering hue that works for you and use it across eyes, lips AND cheeks. It’s that easy! Apply, set and get on with the rest of your day. Read on for how to master monochromatic colours.
1. Use a medium-coverage foundation to camouflage any blemishes and even out skin to create a clean base. Then place dots of foundation on your forehead, cheeks, and chin and buff with a foundation brush using small, circular motions.
Clarisonic Foundation Brush Blender
Stila Stay All Day Foundation & Concealer
2. Set foundation with translucent powder.
Lise Watier Teint Velours Hydrating Loose Perfecting Powder in Universal
3. Prep the eyelids with an eye primer. Then, gently press a cranberry-hued shadow onto lids with an eye shadow brush, blending up to the crease. Sweep the same shade along the lower lash line, softening the edges. Want to find your perfect bold? Control the intensity of the colour by layering the shade or blending it in for a more sheer finish.
Stila Eyes are the Windows to the Spirit Palette
Quo All Over Shadow Brush
4. Line the eyes using a liquid liner, staying as close to the upper lash line as possible to eliminate gaps between lashes. (Aside from adding depth to eyes, the liner will also accentuate the false lashes you’ll apply in step 6.)
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner
5. Curl your lashes, followed by one to two coats of mascara on both the top and bottom lashes.
Smashbox Full Exposure Waterproof Mascara in Jet Black
6. Next, apply false lashes. Add a thin layer of glue to the lash band, then wait a few seconds for the glue to get sticky. Gently place the lash strip onto the lash line. Want to dial it up even further? Apply another coat of mascara.
Quo False Lashes
7. Outline lips with liner, applying it slightly above your cupid’s bow.
Bourjois Paris Lip Liner in Plum It Up!
8. Using a lip brush for precision, apply a lipstick from the same colour family.
Bourjois Paris Rouge Edition 12H Lipstick in Prune Afterwork
9. Complete the look by sweeping a blush in a similar shade up towards the temples. If the colour is too intense, diffuse with a translucent powder.