Are you wondering if the time is right to welcome another child into your family? Here are a few things to consider:
- How old are you? Although some women can get pregnant in their 40s and beyond, fertility tends to drop after age 35. If you're over 35 or have had trouble getting pregnant in the past, you may want to consider having your next child sooner rather than later.
- How old are your other children? Research suggests that having children 2 to 3 years apart is ideal for the health of mother and baby. But it's a personal decision: you and your partner may decide to space your children closer or further apart. For example, if you're over 35 and want a couple more children, you may space them closer. The same goes for parents who don't want to spend too many years in "baby mode." But others choose to space their children farther apart so they can have more time alone with the first child, build up their finances (and their sleep reserves!) before the next baby is born, and avoid having 2 kids in diapers (or in the demanding baby and toddler phases) at the same time. You may also want a certain spacing based on your own childhood experiences.
- Do you feel physically ready? It takes time to recover from pregnancy, childbirth, and the sleepless nights that come with a new baby. If you don't feel ready for these physical demands, you may want to wait.
- Do you and your partner agree? If you've got a partner, you should both agree before deciding to add to your family. If one of you is ready but the other isn't, talk it over.
- Can your finances handle another child? Take stock of your finances and ask yourself whether you are prepared to handle the costs of another child, including childcare, supplies, and time away from work. If you really want another child but finances are tight, see if you can find a way to cut costs, such as scaling back your vacations or eating out less often.
- What's your gut feeling? After you've weighed the options in a rational way, it's time to listen to your heart - if you and your partner really want a baby, maybe the time is now!
If you've considered these questions and are thinking it's time for another baby, use a fertility monitor to maximize your chances of conceiving.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2020. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/Are-You-Ready-for-Another-Child