What to do now that you’re pregnant
Congratulations on your pregnancy! No doubt there are lots of things going through your mind right now, specifically how and when to share your news. It’s natural that you want to spill the beans right away, especially if it’s your first pregnancy, but it’s always wise to tread carefully during the early days.
Typically, most women wait to announce their pregnancy until the end of the first trimester, once the risk of miscarriage has lifted significantly. About 10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage and more than 80 percent of those losses happen before 12 weeks.
Because of this, waiting until you’re out of the woods to spread the word makes sense. On the other hand, some women know that they’ll need the support of certain family members and friends no matter what the outcome, so they might choose to share right away.
There is no right or wrong way to handle this as long you realize that once the news gets out, word will spread—quickly. Once your news is public, it’s a good idea to let your employer know so that plans can be made for your leave.
In the meantime, pick up these pregnancy essentials at Pharmaprix to help ease your symptoms and feel your best throughout each trimester.
- For morning sickness try Gravol® or talk to your doctor about the prescription drug Diclectin®.
- Up your folic acid intake with a Life Brand® Prenatal Multivitamin.
- For constipation chose high-fibre cereal or use a bulk forming agent such as Metamucil®, or the Life Brand® equivalent.
- To help prevent stretch marks, make sure to moisturize with a hydrating cream or oil.
- Fighting a headache? Tylenol® is safe to take throughout pregnancy. Advil® and Naprosyn® are safe for the first six months only.
- Dry, itchy skin? Life Brand® Cocoa Butter skin cream is sure to soothe.
- To relieve heartburn opt for Tums® or Rolaids®.
- For swollen, tired feet try a relaxing lavender or peppermint foot soak.
- To unwind and relax try Life Brand® Epsom Salts in a warm (not hot) bath.
Help is at hand!
If you’re not sure of a product’s safety during pregnancy, call the Pharmaprix Motherisk Helpline at 1-877-439-2744.